Orchestration of an Epic Heoric Cue
Compose your music with a large vocabulary of chords. Create awesome drives in your music, leading your audience to the climax of your musical work like it was the most satisfying moment of their lives.
Become a master of harmony by understanding all its basics, but also the general principles that led to the establishment of the different theoretical rules.
Acquire the harmonic knowledge and reflexes :
- to allow you to find the exact harmonic progression you are looking for;
- to lead you to fast, efficient and varied ways to harmonize your music.
What is awesome about mastering harmony is that not only will you be able to create drive to your music and have an extended harmonic vocabulary, but you will also be able to enhance the drama of your music.
How does it work?
What will you learn in Tonal Harmony Mastery?
This course includes about 17 sessions discussing different topics of harmony. For each sessions, you will have assignments to practice.
- Scales, intervals, chords, inversions
- Voice leading
- Figured bass
Session 1: Basics of music theory
- Major and minor modes
- Mixed mode
- Tonal structure
Session 2: Basics of tonal structure
- Nonharmonic tones
- Six-Four Chord
- Dominant seventh chords
Session 3: Harmonic vocabulary 1
- Points of closure
- Harmonic drive
- Harmonic rhythm
Session 4: Harmonic direction
- Harmonization of a bass
- Different harmonic sequences
- Harmonic sequence in the language
- Voice leading in harmonic sequences
Session 5: Sequences
- Secondary dominant
- Neapolitan sixth
- Augmented fifth
Session 6: Harmonic vocabulary 2
- Augmented sixth
- Composing a good bass
- Relation between the bass and the soprano
- How to harmonize a melody
Session 7: Harmonization of a melody
- How to create expectations
- How to create tension
- How to create surprise
Session 8: Expectations
- Non dominant seventh
- Dominant ninth
- Diminished seventh
Session 9: Harmonic vocabulary 3
- Non dominant ninth
- Eleventh and tirteenth
- How to manage harmony in different textures
Session 10: Textures
- How to modulate to close tonalities
- Pivot chords
- Modulation by steps
Session 11: Modulations 1
- How harmony influences the perception of emotions in music
Session 12: Harmony and emotions
- Pivot tone
- How to modulate to distant tonalities
Session 13: Modulations 2
- Modulating sequences
- Different usual modes
- Modes colour
- Cadences and direction
Session 14 - 15: Basics of modal harmony
- Choices of chords
- Theoretical basics
- Voice leading
- Chords colour and affects
Session 16-17: Basics of chromatic mediant chords
- How to use chromatic mediant chords in a musical context
Every week, a live session will be scheduled.
Once every two weeks, will be an actual course, the other week will be a free session where we gather to answer questions or to discuss harmony or other musical disciplines.
It will allow us to get to know each other and makes the experience more alive even though it is an online course.
All courses will be recorded and you will be able to watch them later, should you be unable to attend the session.
To ensure a high quality support between sessions, you will be invited to join a Private Facebook group made of motivated composers engaged in deepening their understanding of music.
You can use it to
- Discuss with other composers like you, facing the same situation, struggles etc.
- Ask advices to other composers on any topics;
- Ask questions on any topics related to music, production or career management;
- Ask feedback on your music;
- Create long lasting relationship with other awesome composers like you.
What distinguishes us from competiton?
Compared to competition, I offer an